Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Good Human Communication Begins With...

“The beginning of all good human communication is listening. To communicate well is, first of all, to listen intently. If we gab all the time, whether in person or online, we live noisily--and foolishly. Such noise is one of the great setbacks of our age; it leads to greater isolation. The more we talk, without first listening, the more confused and confounded we become. This is partly why our lives today tend to be technologically rich and communication poor.”

I came across this quote as I researched a paper for school. It comes from Schultze, Quentin J. "Questions About Worship and Technology: A Starting Point for a Discussion on Technology." I found his quote to be very profound.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If quiet solitude is what we need then how ought we to proceed with finding it. Can it be found in our daily lives or do we need to leave the business of our lives and find a place away from all noise? Does this mean a dark closet in my two room apartment or the solitude that nature can only provide? How much solitude is needed? Can solitude be found with God as we walk through our regular days? Can it be found in the mall as we sit in the food court? I guess I am wondering if you have any advice as to where to find solitude so we can communion with God without distractions.

If I may answer my own question I think that where we find solitude will vary from believer to believer. One person may be able to communion with God in the Mall while another needs to be isolated in their closet or in nature.

For me quiet communion with God begins early in the morning or late in the evening. I find that my mind, heart, and soul can focus better on God when little else is occuring around me and the things of my day are before or behind me. My phones are silent, the PC's hum is absent, and the normal wonderful activities of my life are sleeping. It is then that I find my quiet time with the Lord to be most profitable for me.

I know when I best communion with God, but I struggle to develope the disciline in my life to consistantly seek God at these times. Instead I find myself occasionaly using these times to talk with God and having to "schedule" Him in between one PC repair and another. Pray that I would just do it. I need to stop trying and begin doing.

If noise can interfere with my communication with God I wonder how it hinders commuication with my fellow Christians and man. What noise of technology or of life do I let come between me and other saints? Maybe noise is not my biggest struggle here. Could it be.... selfish! Do I not care enough to that the time to listen with concern and care. GOD FORBID!!!! That my heart will ever become so callous that I stop caring for my fellow man and his burdens.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home